Marouane Chamakh

Marouane Chamakh
Marouane Chamakh

zaterdag 27 november 2010

Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh


Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh does not reckon he is a top Premier League frontman yet.
Chamakh plays down tag

The Morocco international has scored nine goals already this season after joining the Gunners on a free transfer in the summer. Chamakh's tally is superior to the likes of Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney and Fernando Torres who have all surpassed the 20-goal threshold in recent campaigns. But the former Bordeaux hot-shot believes he has some way to go before he can be held in the same esteem as the division's best finishers. He told : "Drogba, Torres, Rooney? I don't feel as good as those guys. "I would be so happy to reach such a level one day. I know I can reach it, at least I am working for it. "I can feel the coach has planned me that way. But I am still far away."

Baptism of fire

Chamakh admits his Premier League debut in the Anfield clash with Liverpool was like a baptism of fire.
He came through that match and played a key role in the Gunners' injury-time equaliser although the 26-year-old did not think he was going to last the duration of that game.
But Chamakh feels he has adapted to the rigours of the English game, adding: "My first match in the Premier League against Liverpool? My memory is my chest burning after 13 minutes.
"I am looking at the clock and I could not believe it. It went so quick, I was looking for fresh air. I did not believe I would be able to hold on for 90 minutes.
"It is so difficult here that you must force yourself to be a killer. I have been building myself into that state of mind for the last four months, and you can see the result with the statistics.
"It is not Chamakh just with his headers anymore. I can also show I am at ease in a quick-passing game. With boys like (Cesc) Fabregas and (Samir) Nasri, you have to."

(source Skysport)